Sunday, August 17, 2008

Better late then never: Pineapple Express movie review!

I have to admit when I bought tickets for Pineapple Express I knew almost nothing about the film. Sure I knew it was about stoners, and that is starred Seth Rogen, but apart from that nothing. I was happy to find that Pineapple Express is not another dumb wacky stoner film, but in fact a well written action comedy. The plot follows Seth Rodgen's stoner of a character, Dale Denton, as he buys a very rare strain of weed called Pineapple Express from his strange dealer Sual Silver (James Franco). Shortly after, Dale witnesses a murder and because he leaves a roach of that particular weed at the scene of the crime, the killers can track him and his dealer. This film is billed as an action comedy, and when they say action, they mean it. Filled with high speed car chases, explosions, and automatic weapons, Pineapple Express is a new hybrid of the classic stoner film and creates: The Action Stoner film. Slightly too long and filled with just a pinch of too much gore, Pineapple Express has some moments that leave you utterly confused. But Rogen and Franco put so much in their character you can't help but love them, and drool over the bud they are smoking.  In a strange way Seth Rogen gives a chilling warning to young stoners to adjust their ways or they might end up like his character: slightly over weight and dating a girl in high school. While I enjoyed Pineapple Express greatly and encourage every stoner to see it, I felt it could have been better. But people, if we are going to smoke and go to the movies, be classy and smart about it. Get yourself a nice pot cupcake and eat it before hand. Or roll yourself a nice blunt and enjoy it outside. Don't be like the idiots at my theatre and get busted smoking in the bathroom. Also, a giant red icee from the concession stand will cure even the worst of cotton mouth. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved that movie too.. though there was a lil too much gore for me :( man i wanna get my hands on some of dat :)

Anonymous said...

Yo, this is a good review and everything but all it made me do was want a red slushee!

Very classy though, no disrespect